Some estimates put the water content of the human body as high as 80%. That’s pretty wet. Water is a vital component of almost every bodily function, from circulation to proper digestion. Water regulates our body temperatures and keeps us from overheating or freezing in intense temperatures. All in all, water is an extremely useful little molecule without which life as we know it just wouldn’t be possible.
Suggested water intake is 13 cups a day for men and 9 cups a day for women. If you’re still wondering why you should drink all that water, here are a few benefits:
- Weight loss – Water helps to flush out by-products of fat breakdown. It also helps suppress hunger so you eat less. Plus, it has zero calories.
- Healthy skin and hair – Water helps to replenish and hydrate skin and hair cells.
- Better concentration – Your brain is chiefly comprised of water, and drinking enough H2O helps you think better and increases your level of alertness.
- Alleviates headaches – Dehydration can contribute to headaches, so keeping properly hydrated will help stop headaches before they get started.
- Relieves fatigue – Water helps flush out toxins and facilitates the pumping of blood by the heart. The less work your heart has to do, the less tired you feel.
- Cushions joints – Water helps to keep your joints lubricated and healthy. Water helps to keep the movement of your joints smooth and pain-free.
- Facilitates digestive regularity – Water helps to increase metabolism and works with fiber so you can excrete solid waste.
- Puts you in a good mood – Water helps your body to feel healthy, and a healthy body is a happy body!