Contemporary life is a rush of chaotic, disparate events that push and pull us to and fro and causes much distress. Many people are seeking a way to quiet down their minds, bringing much-needed peace to their day-to-day existences. Peace of mind is one of the most sought-after commodities in modern society.
While peace of mind is much-pursued, it is also elusive and fleeting. Maintaining inner peace can seem like a nearly insurmountable task with so many stressors and distractions assailing us every day. With so much constantly being thrown at you, how does one find and maintain peace of mind? Here are a few tips:
- Let go of your vision of how you want things to be – An old cliché holds that life is what happens when you’re making other plans. Life has a habit of not quite developing the way you imagine it will. That’s okay. But railing against the universe when life doesn’t pan out doesn’t do anything but make you angry and depressed. Learn to be open to new developments and you will be much more at peace.
- Accept what you cannot control – It is not within your ability to direct every aspect of your life. Some things you have control over, like your attitude and your actions. Other things, like the actions of others, you can’t control. The key is to learn to accept that you aren’t the one calling the shots all the time and give up struggling to control everything. Remember, the universe tends to unfold as it should.
- Forgive and forget – Nothing chases away your peace of mind like holding a grudge. Insult and injury that happen to us once can continue to damage us for as long as we let them. Learn to forgive others for what they do. And once you’ve forgiven them, forget the trespass ever happened. That will allow you to move forward without poisoning you further down the line.
- Stay out of other peoples’ business – Remember that stuff about not trying to control everything? Well, people are impossible to control. It’s proper to care about what happens to friends and loved ones but not to try to force them to do or think what you want them to do or think. Besides, trying to make people think the way you do is an arrogant endeavor, as it implies you think you know everything, and no one does. You’ll be happier if you let people be themselves.
- Don’t seek recognition – The praise of others is hard to come by and doesn’t last long. Don’t define yourself by what others think of you. You’ll never find validation or peace unless it comes from inside you.
- Don’t live according to the expectations of others. – You know what’s best for you. Follow your heart and don’t try to please the others around you. You’ll never find peace that way and you’ll do the person you are a huge disservice.
- Dedicate some time to creative pursuits – Developing your creative talents help better define who you are and help you to release much pent-up distress.
- Exercise and meditate – Both exercise and meditation help to quiet your mind and foster a peaceful state of mind. Regular participation will also help you develop discipline you need to keep track of and control your thoughts.
- Dispel negativity – There is no room in the peaceful mind for negative thoughts. If you feel a negative thought surfacing, replace it as soon as possible with a positive thought. Limit your exposure to negative situations and people. It’s hard to stay positive when you’re immersed in negativity.
- Take time to appreciate the beauty of life – and of yourself – Not everything in life is ugly. Give a look to the starry night sky. Spend some time taking in the beauty of nature. Taking time to look around you often tends to calm the mind. And appreciate who you are. No two people on the planet are exactly the same. That makes you unbelievably unique and that’s something to cherish.