Flossing: It’s a Thing!


Per­haps the most over­looked part of the den­tal care process, floss­ing is ignored by mil­lions peo­ple who think brush­ing their teeth is suf­fi­cient. In actu­al­ity, floss­ing may be even more impor­tant than brush­ing and here’s why:

  • Floss­ing helps you clean those hard-to-reach areas. Some esti­mates say brush­ing only cleans 20% of tooth sur­faces. By get­ting between teeth and below the gum line, floss­ing helps address the other 80% of tooth surfaces.
  • Floss­ing helps clear plaque and other debris so the flu­o­ride in your tooth­paste can reach more spots.
  • Floss­ing does your gums good, too. Plaque has a ten­dency to build up where teeth meet the gums. There, it accretes, hard­ens and becomes tar­tar. If left unchecked, tar­tar can lead to gin­givi­tis and even spread below the gum line to cause periodontitis.
  • Floss­ing can save you cash. A cheap pre­ven­ta­tive mea­sure, floss­ing can cut down on den­tists bills by putting a stop to poten­tial prob­lems that might sur­face down the road.
  • Floss­ing helps head off other dis­eases. You can cut down your risk of devel­op­ing heart dis­ease, dia­betes, and some res­pi­ra­tory ail­ments by flossing.
  • Floss­ing pre­cludes tar­tar buildup. Reg­u­lar floss­ing removes plaque when it’s soft and pli­able. If you don’t remove plaque, it hard­ens into tar­tar, and requires a den­tist to scrape it off. Ouch!
  • Floss­ing alle­vi­ates bad breath. Hal­i­to­sis (bad breath) is caused by the meta­bolic process of plaque bac­te­ria. By remov­ing that plaque, you ensure your breath will by daisy-fresh. Mints help, too.