Animals make pretty fascinating companions. Their personalities and behavior can keep us enthralled for hours. You may be curious to know some of the more obscure and trivial facts about your favorite furry or feathered companion. Here are a few quick and interesting tidbits about your favorite pets:
- Dogs sweat through the pads of their feet.
- Common knowledge says that dogs are color blind. That’s not true, as dogs can see shades of blue, green, yellow, and gray. Red registers in the grayscale of a dog’s vision.
- The Basenji is the only dog that doesn’t bark. It makes a noise that more closely resembles yodeling.
- Almost every dog has a pink tongue, except the Chow. Chows have black tongues.
- A recent survey revealed that “Max” is the most popular dog name in the country.
- Dogs can make about 10 vocal sounds.
- In France, dog ownership is a constitutional right.
- All cats are born with blue eyes.
- A cat can jump as much as seven times its height.
- A pack of kittens is known as a kindle. A pack of adult cats is called a clowder.
- Cats average about 16 hours of sleep a day.
- Cats can’t taste sweet things.
- Cats see six times better than humans at night.
- The nose pad of each cat has ridges arranged into a unique pattern, a bit like human fingerprints.
- Horses produce about 10 gallons of saliva each day.
- Goldfish need sunlight to keep the vibrancy of their pigment. If kept in dim light, a goldfish’s color will diminish.
- Goat’s eyes have rectangular pupils, to facilitate watching out for predators over wide, flat grazing areas.
- Birds must eat at least half their body weight in food each day to survive.
- Many hamster are able only to blink one eye at a time.
- Armadillos are the only animals apart from humans that are susceptible to leprosy.
- Iguanas can hold their breath for up to 30 minutes.
- A goldfish may live for up to 40 years.
- Guinea pigs are born good to go, complete with eyes open, a full set of teeth, and a full coat of fur.
- Chickens are the closest living relative to Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- Rats can go without water for longer periods than of time camels.
- A garter snake can have up to 85 babies. Ewwwww…
So there you go. A whole bunch of fun and useless facts. Quiz your friends and see who’s the supreme intellect!